Kumquats closely resembles the orange in color and shape but is much smaller, being approximately the size of a large olive.
Kumquat fruits may be eaten fresh, or they may be preserved and made into jams, jellies and marmalades.
Kumquats possess either a yellow or orange hue, resembling small, oval oranges with a sweet yet tangy flavor and a hint of bitterness. What sets kumquats apart from citruses, however, is the fact that both the skin and zest are sweet and can be eaten. The rind, flesh and even the pips are edible, although some people prefer to remove them.
Kumquats are a low-calorie fruit, with 100 grams of fresh kumquats only containing 71 calories. These fruits are rich in nutrients such as:
· Antioxidant vitamins (A, C and E)
· B vitamins (thiamin, niacin, pyridoxine, folates and pantothenic acid)
· Flavonoid antioxidants like carotenes, lutein, zeaxanthin and tannins
· Minerals like calcium, copper, potassium, manganese, iron, selenium and zinc
You can eat the kumquat peel as well, since it’s particularly rich in antioxidants and fiber, as well as essential oils like limonene, pinene, a-bergamotene, caryophyllene, a-humulene and a-muurolene. All these nutrients play a vital role in developing some of the health benefits that kumquats have, such as:
· Assisting with collagen synthesis and wound healing
· Possessing anti-viral and anti-cancer activities
· Helping in the prevention of neurodegenerative diseases, arthritis and diabetes
· Helping with iron absorption from food sources
· Regulating digestive health
· Helping with the elimination of constipation, excess gas, bloating and cramping
· Eliminating and counteracting free radicals from the body
· Functioning as co-factors for metabolizing carbohydrates, proteins and fats
· Boosting the immune system
· Assisting in stimulation of new cell growth
· Helping protect the body against foreign invaders, infections, bacteria and fungi
· Helping optimize insulin and glucose balance in the body
· Nourishing hair and teeth
· Increasing energy levels
· Improving skin health
· Building strong bones
Export Grade, Locally grown Oranges. Perfect for eating & Juicing.....
Fresh green beans from greenolic farm. 100% organic and tastes amazing. .....